[lbo-talk] Pollan: WITBD to reform the industrial food system

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 16:27:23 PDT 2008

Honestly, talking about what happens to the food supply and the labor that produces it under dramatically changed assumptions about the price of fuel and other inputs is more satisfying to me than chasing the last iota of frenzy about capital injections and increased liquidity. Also, at least the strong illusion that individual choices and actions can more easily make a difference than waiting on Wall Street wizardry.

Item: a couple weeks ago I read an article about one gene variant that makes it easy for people to eat and is associated with increased risk of obesity. A recent study shows that among the Amish, people with this gene variant are able to stave off obesity simply by being active 3.5 hours / day.

Item: a few months ago a friend quit her desk job in a dysfuntional (bio tech research) org and got a job at a greenhouse. She is on her feet all day. She is around plants and learning stuff she is passionate about. She has lost about 30 pounds and no longer needs blood pressure and cholesterol meds she started when she got insurance through dysfunctional desk job.

Item: never mind our economic policies. A Martian looking at the US would be forgiven for being highly amused that people get in their cars to go to the gym to burn off excess calories caused by preternatually cheap food. Or the really workaholic ones spend $6000 on a treadmill desk to burn off excess calories while engaged in that prestigious brain work. Or our schools struggle to pour required knowledge into the brains of children while depriving them of the process learning of agriculture, food prep, and other human-scale activities.

Yeah, sure, Pollan ignores migrant labor. Does he mean that local-centric agrculture in the migrants' country of origin will stabilize their economies and make it easier for people to earn a living in their countries of origin? Does he mean this will put a big crimp in the style of many multinational agribusiness conglomerates? Possibly just as well for his argument that he does not say much on these questions but an interesting exercise to think about.

Unfortunately, Pollan is also glib about the increased labor inputs of the methods he proposes. It's certainly true that this work can be more proudly valued. It is also true that greater physical labor and constrained access to calories can actually be associated with great increases in health. There is even plenty of evidence, not just the US victory gardens, but also the private plots under communism in the USSR, that small-scale agriculture can make very significant contributions to agricultural output.

The problem is that labor-intensive agriculture is physically exhausting and a VERY tough sell on that ground alone. Even people who love home-canned food and have decades of experience to share with younger workers are going to get out of the business or do it only intermittently when arthritis gets overpowering.

DC (grandchild of farmer, none of whose cousins do more than garden casually)