[lbo-talk] Herbert Paulson Hoover

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Oct 12 18:11:31 PDT 2008

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> But that's the test. Is Paulson, and whoever succeeds him come
> January, going to act more like Roosevelt and be more aggressive, or
> are they going to be hampered by ideological convictions, interparty
> strife or who knows what? ''

I don't have the foggiest idea of whether or ot it's going to be another Great Depression, but I strongly suspect that if it is, it won't look like that of the 1930s or that of the 1870s, so it might go on for quite a while before it got recognized as such.

But re Roosevelt. He did not stop the Depression; he didn't even make much of a dent in it. The War ended the Depression. Roosevelt made people feel a bit better (like something was being done), and he instituted some policies that helped people survive (if they were white, that is), but he never got the economy going again.

Carrol