[lbo-talk] David Brooks, so worried

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Oct 13 10:58:17 PDT 2008

> Oooo. David Brooks is verah verah worried:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/10/opinion/10brooks.html?_r=3&em&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
> Op-Ed Columnist
> The Class War Before Palin
> By DAVID BROOKS
> Published: October 9, 2008

> Over the past 15 years, the same argument has been heard from a thousand
> politicians and a hundred television and talk-radio jocks. The nation is
> divided between the wholesome Joe Sixpacks in the heartland and the
> oversophisticated, overeducated, oversecularized denizens of the coasts.

This is actually the most interesting paragraph of the essay. At one point, he says that we only attacked liberal coastal pointyheads, like Dukakis. Then, we weren't attacking intellectuals, just coastal liberal ones. Somehow, we've managed to attack all intellectuals -- and then he recites the stats about how techgeeks go for the dems 5:1, lawyers 4:1, etc.

But see, they really did mean it. Because if all they cared about was the fact that Dukakis was a liberal, then they only had to attack liberals. But they weren't only out to attack liberals. They were out to attack the educated, the sophisticated, and the secular. And they did.

But now they want to take it back apparently, so they're gonna be smarter, this time. So, Brooks' war is with the _over_sophisticated, the _over_educated, the _over_secularized.

Neat trick.

shag