[lbo-talk] Fwd: WSJ MARKET ALERT: Dow Industrials Surge 940 Points

Doug Henwood dhenwood at PANIX.COM
Mon Oct 13 13:23:17 PDT 2008

[All you left gloomsters who thought last week's action was proof that the end was near, what do you say to this? Me, I say last week was probably overdone, as is today - this is the sort of violent rally you often see in a long-term bear market. My guess is that we're still facing recession, but not the end of the world. But how about this for an endorsement of that old Wall Street maxim: "bailouts are bullish"?]

MARKET ALERT from The Wall Street Journal.

Oct. 13, 2008

The Dow Jones Industrial Average surged 940 points, its biggest single- day point gain ever, as stocks rallied following the worst week on record for blue chips last week. Nineteen of the Dow's 30 components recorded double-digit percentage gains. GM rose 33%, Alcoa jumped 23%, Chevron gained 21% and Microsoft advanced by 19%. The S&P 500 Index and the Nasdaq Composite Index each rallied by more than 11%.

For more information, see: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122389467262628273.html?mod=djemalertMARKET

The article link above is also mobile friendly. Mobile users, click the link to see this story now.