[lbo-talk] the obama cool pop

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Oct 13 14:58:28 PDT 2008

A piece in NY Magazine about Obama's brand of cool populism, http://nymag.com/news/politics/powergrid/51166/

[all *I* can think of is one of those multi-colored rocket pops]

<quote> Leaning in to the podium, he expanded on riffs he'd deployed the night before against McCain. Then he snapped off a couplet that you'll likely soon be hearing ad nauseam: "Back in 1980, Ronald Reagan asked the electorate whether you were better off than you were four years ago. At the pace things are going right now, you're going to have to ask whether you're better off than you were four weeks ago!" ...

Others pushed Obama to embrace a full-throated, John Edwardsy brand of populism. But every time he tried to play that game­notably around the Ohio and Pennsylvania primaries, when he suddenly started trashing every free-trade deal in sight­it proved ineffective, mainly because he plainly didn't believe a word he was saying. Hard-edged, hot-eyed populism, moreover, would have been politically risky for Obama in the general election anyway. "It's a dangerous stance for any African-American candidate," says Joe Trippi, the former top strategist to Edwards and Howard Dean. "You open yourself up to being caricatured as the angry black guy."

But from the late spring into the summer, Obama began to fashion a softer, calmer, more discriminating form of populism better suited to his demeanor and his intellectual convictions. He didn't attack Wall Street wholesale, but called for its reregulation. He didn't assail big business wantonly, but went after industries whose behavior he found egregious (oil, insurance) and loudly opposed his rival's plans for a massive cut in corporate tax rates. He trained his fire on lobbyists and other influence peddlers. And he found a way of weaving these ideas and broader populist themes convincingly into his rhetoric­as in his speech at the Democratic National Convention, when Obama said, "We measure the strength of our economy not by the number of billionaires we have or the profits of the Fortune 500, but by whether

the waitress who lives on tips can take a day off to look after a sick kid without losing her job­an economy that honors the dignity of work." </quote>