[lbo-talk] Canada election

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 12:22:29 PDT 2008

It looks as if there will be another Conservative minority not very much different from the one we had at dissolution. The election was called only because the Conservatives thought the Liberals were in such disarray with a weak leader that the Conservatives would gain a majority. However, the Conservative leader is widely feared as a right wing ideologue hiding his real agenda. In spite of a weak campaign the Liberals have managed to survive and the Conservatives have lost some ground. Although the outcome tonight could be anything from a Liberal minority to a Conservative majority the most likely result is another Conservative minority.

The Liberals will no doubt jettison their leader Dion but it may be some time before they are bold enough to defeat the government. The last parliament was noteworthy for the Liberals bailing out the Conservatives over 40 times! The left vote is split three ways between Greens, NDP, and Liberals. The NDP is likely to gain up to a half dozen more seats but the Greens will not elect anyone. Some NDP and Green votes will drift over to the Liberals, strategic voting to stop the Conservatives.

Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html