[lbo-talk] medical catastrophes

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 13:46:10 PDT 2008

--- On Tue, 10/14/08, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> What medical catastrophes exactly? People live longer than
> ever.
> Diseases that used to be fatal aren't anymore.

How about antibiotics-which are a good thing and have saved tons of lives- when overused give rise to a super-resistant bug that will wipe out large numbers of people? Sounds like a "B" Sci-fi Japanese flick from the 60s, but it's possible and even likely at some point.

I only started looking seriously at this after getting lyme-disease which, ta-dah, is requiring me to take mass quantities of antibiotics for a while.

Thomas