[lbo-talk] At one with my inner herbivore

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 14 21:11:45 PDT 2008

I never defended the idea that it was an attempt to impose human will on the universe. I don't see it as an attempt to impose a divine will either. If there's a divine will isn't it inherently imposed upon the universe?

The idea that when you make sculpture you're pulling out a form that is already in the rock is BS. It sounds good but doesn't convey what is actually going on. In a sense you're frequently (but not always) both imposing your will on the stone and finding forms that are already there because you see the grain structure of the stone and work with that. Lots of classic sculptures ignore this and it's obvious when you look at them that the artist made the shape he wanted in spite of the structure of the stone not being well suited to the form sculpted. I don't believe for one second Michelangelo's Pietà was already in a piece of marble

John Thornton