[lbo-talk] Das Kapital in Germany

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 04:31:24 PDT 2008

John E. Norem:

> Karl Marx “Das Kapital” soar among young Germans
Sales > of Kart Marx’s “Das Capital” have soared in Germany as > a consequence of the financial crisis

Not just since the financial crisis, either. The Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, the foundation close to the Left Party, has also been conducting regular seminars in all three volumes led by Sabine Nuss, Anne Steckner, and Ingo Stützle, all of whom are students of Michael Heinrich.

Heinrich's _Kritik der politischen Ökonomie: Eine Einführung_ selling many, many copies, and is in the 6th edition already (I am translating this work into English)

Meanwhile, the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung seems to have an almost neurotic obsession with Marx, as can be seen here: http://www.das-kapital-lesen.de/?p=85 and here: http://www.das-kapital-lesen.de/?p=76

They also ran a story where they had a paragraph commenting on the enormous number of young people meeting for the RLS seminar, but I can't find the article right now.

But there is a factual error in your account, John:

> One of the German provinces where Marx critique of
> capitalism surged most strongly was in Hesse where
> the leader of the Social Democratic party, SPD,
> Andrea Ypsilanti would like to take office of the
> regional government in alliance with a radical
> grouping led by Oskar Lafontaine.

1. Ypsilanti is not entering into a coalition with Die Linke. She is entering into a minority government with the Greens while allowing herself to be voted as minister president by Die Linke.

2. Lafontaine has nothing to do with it. He is running for minister president of Saarland next year. Hessen is a different state entirely. I sympathize with the perception that all West Germans are the same, but trust me, they aren't. :-)