[lbo-talk] TED Spread

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Wed Oct 15 18:00:57 PDT 2008

If you're wondering why stock markets continue to swoon, here's a chart of the so-called "TED spread", the difference between 3-month interbank lending rate in London (LIBOR) and 3-month central bank lending, a measure of financial stress -- the higher the red line, the closer we are to a meltdown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ted-Spread.png

Overnight money flows are finally loosening, a good sign, but 3-month flows are still in cardiac arrest. The world economy is still breathing -- barely -- but banks need to be recapitalized/nationalized as quickly as possible. Also, Roubini is calling for a massive US stimulus package -- $300 billion in infrastructure and green jobs for 2009 -- to counteract the rapidly worsening recession. My guess is the EU and East Asia will need to do something similar -- i.e. compensate for falling US demand through Euro/Asiakeynesianism. Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride...

-- DRR