[lbo-talk] Why not let McCain win?

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 07:21:34 PDT 2008

On 16/10/2008, Peter Lavelle <untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Let's McCain work on or work out this mess! Failed foreign policy and
> recession at home. Four years is not enough for Obama to fix all of
> this. And if elected Obama will be blamed for not fixing everything.
>
> The system is failing - let it completely belly up before real change is on offer.

I remember hearing very similar arguments in 1988 (mainly from RCP members, for whatever that's worth). They were convinced that after eight years of Reagan, a continuation of his policies via Bush Sr would be *just* the push the country needed to kickstart the revolution. As it happened, of course, it was enough to bring in Clinton, but somehow I think that's hardly the kind of radical change they envisioned.

Anyway, surely nobody with even the slightest social conscience can have observed the hateful droolings of McCain/Palin supporters over the past couple weeks without being utterly appalled at the idea of them being the ones to celebrate on November 5th. They are reason enough to want Obama to win, I think (even though I voted for McKinney).