[lbo-talk] Joe the Plumber, $250k+ business owner, as average American?

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Oct 17 07:56:27 PDT 2008

> t'would be even sadder if they weren't able to find ample offshore
> accounts and shell corporations to funnel their money into to avoid
> taxes altogether.

I think it's important to remember that we're talking about 'marginal rates' here and not actual rates. No one who makes $250k/yr is paying "36%" in taxes; they pay that on the next dollar they make, but compared to those who make $100k or less[*] they get a pretty sweet deal in this country, percentage-wise. Even in a state with high income taxes it's easy to project less than 30% total next tax burden; YMMV, IANACPA.

/jordan

[*] I pick $100k because that's around where the cutoff is for FICA which peaks at 6.2% ... once you get to $200k, your effective FICA rate is down around 3% ...