[lbo-talk] Joe the Plumber, $250k+ business owner, as average American?

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 17 15:52:38 PDT 2008

Joseph Catron wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>

>> Really? Having six figures in financial assets (excluding housing) would put
>> you above the 80th percentile of the wealth distribution.
>>

> "Full" was obviously hyperbolic, but skilled construction workers with
> a few years of seniority earn more than enough to accumulate
> significant savings, assuming they actually save some of it. In fact,
> workers earning enough to start or buy their own companies are not at
> all uncommon.
>
> On a note related to this exchange, does anyone know of a good
> demographic tool, like American FactFinder, that includes liquid
> assets?

Define "not at all uncommon." Is 5% of the population enough to earn that label? 15%?

Define "significant savings." $75,000? $150,000?

Last I heard over 20% of those making $100,000 or more annually had no significant savings (less than $10,000) and claimed they lived paycheck to paycheck. Since they constitute only about 12% of the population I'd venture a guess that no more than 5% of the US population has $100,000 or more savings. 5% hardly seems to merit the label "not at all uncommon".

Only about 15% of households have a net worth of $500,000 or more (and it's nearly impossible to imagine having $100,000 in savings if your net worth is less than $500,000) so if were feeling really generous and imagine 1 in 3 of this group have $100,000 in savings we're again left with about 5%.

All this is seats of the pants stuff so maybe someone will come along with hard data and show me that 18% of the US has savings of $100,000 or more and it really is "not at all uncommon" but I'm not holding my breath.

John Thornton