[lbo-talk] Joe the Plumber, $250k+ business owner, as average American?

W. Kiernan wkiernan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 18:21:20 PDT 2008

Joseph Catron wrote:

> "Full" was obviously hyperbolic, but skilled construction

> workers with a few years of seniority earn more than

> enough to accumulate significant savings, assuming they

> actually save some of it.

My view from here in Florida is, I've been doing construction surveying since 1978 and in all that time I've known exactly two guys who got it together enough to start businesses with their own names on them. One of them was successful enough that his company bought five pickup trucks, he was doing interesting construction jobs all over the county, and I thought he was going to make it, but this latest slump shut him down too.

yrs WDK