[lbo-talk] It's Teh Bigneth, stoopit

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 17 20:39:11 PDT 2008

Chris Doss wrote:

> Well, in ancient literature at any rate, nature is viewed as dangerous, and beautiful precisely because of its being dangerous. Danger = ugly is a Christian trope.

??? Cite some passages from ancient literature. I'll go out on a limb: all Homer's positive similes involve human scenes -- not one from untouched 'nature.' It's been a long time since I read Virgil, but my guess is it's the same in his epic. Nor do I remember any positive scenes of 'untouched nature' (dangerous or not) from either Ovid or Propertius.

And please identify where in specifically Christian literature danger=ugly appears??

Carrol