[lbo-talk] Paul Craig Roberts and Pat Buchanan on Anti-Empire

Charles Peterson charlesppeterson at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 23:03:23 PDT 2008

Paul Craig Roberts is nutty on most things, but on anti-Empire he is fantastic. I don't recall that Democracy Now! had him on back during the recent peak of the Georgia-South Ossetia-Russia war, when they should have, instead of on his worst subject--economics.

OK, maybe just a bit too much foaming at the mouth, nativism, and Reagan revisionism, but if you can get past that, few on the left could pull off histories like these:

And many more...

Hmmn, seems like nativist VDARE has taken his link off their front page.

http://www.vdare.com/roberts/all_columns.htm

On these same issues, Pat Buchanan also does a great job, without the foam but otherwise similar caveats:

I loved this line from Pat, where he skillfully put us in the Russian shoes and them in ours:

[Pat Buchanan] How would we have reacted if Moscow had brought Western Europe into the Warsaw Pact, established bases in Mexico and Panama, put missile defense radars and rockets in Cuba, and joined with China to build pipelines to transfer Mexican and Venezuelan oil to Pacific ports for shipment to Asia? And cut us out? If there were Russian and Chinese advisers training Latin American armies, the way we are in the former Soviet republics, how would we react? Would we look with bemusement on such Russian behavior? [/Pat Buchanan]

Charles Peterson