[lbo-talk] Joe the Plumber, $250k+ business owner, as average American?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 16:26:12 PDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 8:01 PM, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> This is nice but neither refutes nor supports anything written.

Which is fitting, since I was attempting to do neither, but rather to answer what I thought was an implied question:

"Of the subset of construction workers known to you I haven't a clue..."

> What they "choose" is irrelevant to the fact that if over 20% of the persons
> in this income bracket claim to live paycheck to paycheck then imagining 80%
> could also have substantial savings of $100,000 or more is not warranted.

Please read more carefully. "[A] ratio of 80%" obviously referred to a RATIO - in this case, between net worth and savings - rather than a certain portion of the population.

> I have no idea why you wrote "Impossible does not follow from uncommon."
> since no one equated the two or claimed one followed the other.

Actually, you jumped from "nearly impossible" in one message to "incredibly unlikely" (which, based upon the statistical context with which you surround it, translates into "uncommon") in the next.