[lbo-talk] Things I will never understand: Private Charity over Justice

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 19 19:51:07 PDT 2008

(Sending Again: First Seems to have disappeared)

A response to Sandy Harris.

Among the defining features of conservatism in the US, is to remove the social welfare from government and resort to:

Family Church and Charity Lessons from the Dutch Disease:

From a recent text book I used on conservatism in the US (i paraphrase) the individual is semi-rational, fallible, spiritual, limited … whose behaviour cannot be perfected. Rather than using the state to support these individuals towards some form of equality, justice and a better life in general rely on church, family, education and charity as institutions to bring out the strengths and minimize the weaknesses in each individual

"Government is not there to lift the poor… the role of church, voluntary institutions , personal philanthropy…[Charity]"

Aluta Continua!