[lbo-talk] Things I will never understand: Fear of Tax

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 21:13:35 PDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 9:21 PM, Sandy Harris <sandyinchina at gmail.com> wrote:
> John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Do you really believe this offensive libertarian garbage or are you simply
>> trying to be confrontational?
>
> A bit of each, but mostly just trying to question assumptions that strike
> me as too facile.

Yeah, but the question was why people really *believe* this libertarian garbage, and find it so inspirational in the US, despite, in some cases, having nothing to fear from the tax man because you'll likely never make enough for it to really matter one way or the other.

In general it seems to be a rather specific tick in the Anglo-American ideology. In general, all you've done is present the most extreme version of the facile ideas being talking about ("taxes stolen at gunpoint"), which does little to explain why they seem to grip the USian psyche so reflexively.

>>> Granted also, there's a role for law in helping her, holding the
>>> father to account, protecting the woman from loonies who want
>>> to "stone the slut", et cetera.
>> Private charities are not required to protect women from "stone the slut"
>> fundies but govt. programs are.
>
> We agree on that, at least.

Although Nozick might object that this kind of protection--especially if paid for with "coercive" taxation--is a just another form of redistribution. For him, if the poor helpless slut wants protection, she damn well better pay for it herself.