[lbo-talk] Why the Dems lost the White Working Class

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Oct 21 13:48:31 PDT 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Votes matter. Party ID is a statement.

Fair enough, I'm not defending them, I'm just pinpointing the basis of the difference.

> I don't see why party ID is more important.

Their reasons are (a) presidential votes are swayed a lot by who the candidates are, so introduce lots of noise into a sample with a tiny N, and (b) the answer to the question of which party you identify with is pretty relevant for your political identity.

Again, I'm not arguing their brief, just tendering it. I'm still thinking about it. Hey, why don't you send it to Larry and get his reply? That'd be cool!

Michael