[lbo-talk] Powell and Obama

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Oct 21 15:41:48 PDT 2008

At 02:44 PM 10/21/2008, Jordan Hayes wrote:
>>i saw all that but I didn't see someone who was especially
>>"into it". he just seemed like he was ticking of expected reasons.
>
>And note that they are all basically anti-McCain and not pro-Obama.
>
>Did he say anything good about Obama?
>
>/jordan

paraphrase: "we've got two individuals, either one of them can be president, what makes the difference."

he then lists obama's qualities as a "transformational figure" who has a good style, "ability to inspire", b/c "reaching out across america," his rhetorical ability, as well as his substance ("he has both style and substance" (doesn't list details of the substance), he is "a new generation coming on to the world stage...."

Earlier, he ticks off obama's qualities as steady, thoughtful in the recent economic upheavals, qualities he contrasted with McCain's erraticness. His choice of Biden is smart, as compared to McCain's choice of Palin who's "not ready." He also spoke about Obama's style of decision-making. He's basically only praising Obama's methods, not necess. the results of those methods or the ends toward they're applied.

Also, notice that he keeps talking about "I have watched...." Obama. The interaction seems light. He's seems to only have observed him, not spoken much to him, which wouldn't be surprising.

And there's practically *zippo* in terms of the substance of Obama's platform.

oh, thanks to charles you can check my interpretation: http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2008/10/19/powell-endorses-obama-in-no-uncertain-terms.aspx

Watching again, you can see what I mean by the difference between the early ticking off of a laundry list -- ho hum -- and then the building crescendo of more rigorous engagement with the topic: which was the fact that he's appalled with the racism of the campaign and the party more generally. That's what has finally propelled him away from supporting a republican candidate.

Has zippo to do with much ideological agreement. IIRC, the reason why Powell might care about the Supreme Court is that he's has explicitly stated his opposition to the conservatism of the SCOTUS on abortion. Yeah, ty google:

"You all know that I believe in a woman's right to choose and I strongly support affirmative action. And, I was invited here by my party to share my views with you because we are a big enough party -- and big enough people -- to disagree on individual issues and still work together for our common goal: restoring the American Dream." Source: Speech to the Republican National Convention Aug 12, 1996

He's not exactly a champeeeen of everyone's civil rights either:

[In testimony before Congress on gays in the military], I said, "I think it would be prejudicial to good order and discipline to try to integrate gays and lesbians in the current military structure." Congresswoman Pat Schroeder quoted a 1942 government report and claimed that the same arguments used then against racial integration in the military were being used against gays today.

She had her logic wrong. I responded, "Skin color is a benign, nonbehavioral characteristic. Sexual orientation is perhaps the most profound of human behavioral characteristics. Comparison of the two is a convenient but invalid argument.

The linking of gay rights and the civil rights movement got a mixed reaction in the African-American community. The Congressional Black Caucus favored removing the ban on homosexuals in the armed services. But other leaders were telling me that they resented having the civil rights crusade hijacked by the gay community for its ends. Source: My American Journey, by Colin Powell, p. 533 Jan 1, 1995