[lbo-talk] Chinese students turn to south Indian universities

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 00:48:00 PDT 2008

http://www.hindu.com/2007/10/11/stories/2007101160970700.htm

The Hindu Thursday, Oct 11, 2007

Chinese students turn to south Indian universities

P.V.V. Murthi

VELLORE: Out of about 300 Chinese students who arrived in India this year for pursuing higher education, 137 have enrolled for various courses at VIT University here.

Their India visit was the result of a Memorandum of Understanding, which the VIT University signed with eight Chinese universities, according to VITU Chancellor G. Viswanathan.

Most of the students have opted for the 'top up' B.Sc. computer science and 'top up' B.Com. e-commerce. A few have joined the five-year M.S. software engineering. Popular choice

An informal chat with some of these students revealed their eagerness to study computer science and commerce, the most sought after fields in China.

With many multinational companies, including Indian information technology firms establishing their units in China, the students were guided to south India to take up such subjects owing to the quality of technical education here. They also expect to improve their English skills with help from the faculty members and students of south Indian universities.

The Sino-India Education and Technology Alliance (SIETA), started three years ago, has a key role in arranging for the admission of the Chinese students in VITU and other universities.

As many as 101 students have joined Mysore University and 60, Bangalore University, according to Sathyamoorthy, chairman of SIETA.

"We want to create a platform to bring together Chinese and Indian universities for educational exchange programmes, which will be mutually beneficial to students of both countries," he said.

(c) Copyright 2000 - 2008 The Hindu

-- My humanity is in feeling we are all voices of the same poverty. - Jorge Louis Borges