[lbo-talk] Many happy (Austrian) returns

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 21:26:06 PDT 2008

It seems there is only one final answer the Austrian crowd can come up with to what has occurred. They seem to have mostly dropped the "F & F" and CRA meme and settled on something much purer: it turns out that, for all the complicated models they've come up with to talk about the problems of monetarism, velocity of money, etc. that the real problem is that we don't follow the gold standard. It really is an elegant solution. It's really a wonder they aren't in charge.

<CLOSE QUOTE>

>From the Austrian Econ Blog, on "Greenspan's Mistake":

http://austrianeconomists.typepad.com/weblog/2008/10/greenspans-mistake.html

<OPEN QUOTE> Instead of blaming himself for his monetary policy and admitting once and for all that central banking is not the best monetary system available (he actually admitted that the economy is too complex to be forecasted by Fed experts), he blamed it on the free market. Greenspan true mistake is to absolve himself from all responsibility by saying that he had faith in the free market system and that that system abandoned him (i.e. it had a flaw).

But the more fundamental mistake Greenspan made was 50 years ago when he abandoned his position on the role of the gold standard. We shouldn't be surprised that Greenspan is trying to deflect criticism by minimizing his errors and poor judgments as the Fed Chairman. The scholars who will write the second edition of "A Monetary History of the United-States 1961-2040" will surely find a different story."

And from the advertisement for the Mises Institute's "Supporter's Summit" at the end of the month: http://mises.org/events/107

<OPEN QUOTE> Join Ron Paul, Judge Napolitano, and Pascal Salin!

The Gold Standard Revisited

>From Menger to the present day, Austrians have favored sound money
over government-manipulated paper currency. The very first Mises Institute conference in 1983 was on the gold standard. At the time, people said the idea was outmoded and that paper currency was working just fine. Here we are 25 years later, and it is not so.The dollar is in grave danger, the government is growing at the expense of society, and the business cycle has been unleashed with ferocity. The best time for a gold standard is in calm times, but only a crisis focuses the mind. People are looking for answers, and the Misesian answer is the same now as it was when Mises wrote his first book on the topic: restore sound money, stop the inflation, and get government out of the money business. <CLOSE QUOTE>

And, just in case you were wondering, at the summit in Alabama, "Optional golf is $75 per person." Not sure why I find that so funny; I guess sometimes you just need to talk about the one good Scottish philosopher over some nice, Scottish recreation.

Just out of curiosity, other than gold and what Dr. Paul calls "fiat money," what other option is there? Using shells? shiny beads? labor chits? It is gold and the free market or nothing at all.