[lbo-talk] Puddinhead Palin

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Oct 24 23:52:16 PDT 2008

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/10/sarah_palin_ignorant_and_antis.php

Pharyngula

(Blog by PZ Myers, biologist and associate professor at the

University of Minnesota, Morris)

Posted on: October 24, 2008 10:17 PM

This is too much. Sarah Palin gave a policy speech today in which she

claimed that she wanted more support for children with disabilities,

more tools to test for disorders, and while also decrying the expense

of scientific research.

[EMBED]

Where does a lot of that earmark money end up anyway? [...] You've

heard about some of these pet projects they really don't make a

whole lot of sense and sometimes these dollars go to projects that

have little or nothing to do with the public good. Things like fruit

fly research in Paris, France. I kid you not.

<end excerpt>

The "Puddinhead" in the title is an allusion to the first chapter of Mark Twain's book _The Tragedy of Puddinhead Wilson_, which I highly recommend:

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?id=Twa2Pud.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&tag=public&part=1&division=div1

Once you read it, it'll keep back to you, because this situation constantly recurs, but is also impossible to put in words that fully express the mockery it merits.

Michael