[lbo-talk] Why is the U.S. dollar regarded as a safe haven.

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sat Oct 25 15:12:11 PDT 2008

============================== The liquidation of hedge fund holdings, mainly forced by margin calls, has driven the market down, and I can see where the dollar would be boosted where they have been dumping foreign securities. But I don't see how the carry trade figures in the dollar rise. If f anything, it would have an offsetting effect in that higher-yielding Treasuries and other assets are sold and dollars and other currencies converted into yen to close out yen-denominated loans. This would seem to be confirmed by the yen being the only basket currency against which the dollar has lost ground instead of rising. It's gains have mainly come at the expense of the euro and other major currencies.