[lbo-talk] is this the fat lady singing?

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 26 21:40:40 PDT 2008

Dwayne Monroe wrote:
> John Thornton:
>
> I was listening to NPR the other day and there was a woman being
> interviewed who was worried that if Obama won "'they' would all think
> it's payback time".
>
> When asked what she meant she replied that "'You know, at one time the
> black man had to step off the sidewalk when a white person came down
> the sidewalk.".
>
> [...]
>

> Ha!
>

> I'm laughing to keep down the tears...oh, and the wish to see rockets fall.
>

> A friend in Florida reports that he's no longer talking to his
> brother. Why? When my friend (who looks like the sort of white,
> working class, Joe Six Pack type Sarah, Neiman Marcus on the down low,
> Palin yammers on about) announced in casual conversation his intention
> to vote for Obama, his brother's brilliant reply was: 'I'm afraid the
> blacks will think his election will mean they've taken over.'
>

> A schism creating argument followed.
>

> I regret I wasn't present for the conversation inasmuch as my
> contribution might have been: 'yes, that's right, we've all received
> our orders for the coming Negro Empire. I'm afraid that means bad
> news for you old bean: I've been named Secretary in Charge of Being
> Mocha Robespierre. And like the original, I interpret your fear to be
> proof of your guilt.'
>
> .d.

Left unasked is that if a Black President means Blacks would get privileges and power over whites do the people who believe this also believe that having a white President means whites would have privileges and power over Blacks? If not perhaps they believe since whiteness is the default normal condition for humans the conferring of privileges for citizens of the same race as the Imperial Leader is only a phenomenon of non-whites? I wish the interviewer on NPR had asked.

John Thornton