[lbo-talk] my weekend in "real" virginia

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 12:12:23 PDT 2008

My pitiful memory of US history east of the Mississippi: weren't the Appalachians settled by a a lot of "po' white trash," teeming masses from the British Isles who were not terribly wealthy or enlightened when they arrived and did not automatically upgrade themselves on this side of the pond? As I recall they came in pretty opressed by the British class system and one key basis for feeling human about themselves was being better'n those n-words.

Okay , I KNOW the picture is more complicated than that, but....

DC