[lbo-talk] my weekend in "real" virginia

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 27 17:57:36 PDT 2008

On Oct 27, 2008, at 8:38 PM, shag wrote:

> There was a mall on a street called Barracks Rd. It would have been
> like any other strip mall save for a sprinkling of shops that either
> weren't chains or were from obscure chains. IOW, the mall was not
> the same mall you can find anywhere and the chains were more upscale
> than even the so-called upscale malls in other cities where I've
> lived.

Well that's sure changed. The Barracks Rd mall used to be a standard- issue mall (and the strip on Rte 29 north of it was a vulgar Roadtown straight out of Learning from Las Vegas). I'm guessing that places like C'ville have changed a lot over the last 30 years, with the polarization in the income distribution.

Doug