[lbo-talk] Antigone's Claim Redux (was: Butler is not a classicist

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Oct 29 21:06:31 PDT 2008

On Oct 29, 2008, at 8:51 PM, shag wrote:

> At 07:56 PM 6/9/2008, Shane Mage wrote:
>
>> I find it a bit hard to grasp what Butler is proposing. Is she
>> saying
>> that the
>> relationship between Antigone and Polyneikes is as incestuous as it
>> would have been normal had the drama taken place in the Hundred-Gated
>> rather than the Seven-Gated Thebes (Antigone does call her place of
>> entombment a "bridal chamber")? Or is she suggesting that Creon
>> denies
>> her the right to bury her brother because of the Oedipos/Jocasta
>> incest rather than because he was a traitor and fratricide? The
>> first makes excellent sense, but the second would misread Creon
>> completely.
>>
>> Also, I wonder how she dealt with the "daddy's girl" Antigone of
>> Oedipos at Colonus, Sophocles's last word on the topic.
>
> I can't answer any of your questions yet, I just got the book from
> interlibrary loan. It's very short, three essays. She's taking up
> Antigone as she's been used as a symbol of women's resistance to the
> state. She starts out by considering the way Antigone was taken up
> by Hegel, Lacan, Irigaray.

Then she isn't really talking about Antigone at all, but about Lacan and Irigaray (about whom I know very little indeed). But this phrase suggests that she misconceives what Hegel is about just as surely as those do who treat his discussion of *Jacques le Fataliste*'s "master- slave dialectic" as a sociological exegesis:
> ...Hegel has her stand for the transition from matriarchal to
> patriarchal rule, but also for the principle of kinship...
The whole discussion of "Mutterrecht" developed well after Hegel, and his concept of "Sittlichkeit" far transcends the sociology of kinship relations. For Hegel Antigone represents a different sort of social "transition"--the stage of conflict between customary law including its sacralisation of kinship (Antigone) and the positive law of the emerging State with its emphasis on the public interest (Creon). That was the basis for his epitome on tragedy being "not the conflict of right against wrong but the conflict of right against right."

In any case, not having read Butler I made no suggestion that she "should be embarrassed by what she wrote re: Antigone."

Shane Mage