[lbo-talk] RIP, Studs Terkel

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Fri Oct 31 17:55:39 PDT 2008

Even my dad, whose reading was usually limited to newspapers and the Daily Racing Form, liked Studs Terkel. I bought him Studs' book on WW2, and dad read and enjoyed the whole thing. I loved Working and the ones on the Great Depression and aging. In the latter, he interviewed Sophie Masloff, the former mayor of Pittsburgh. I remember her handing out cookies on a holiday in an Eat'n Park restaurant we had taken the kids to. She's still going strong, about 90. His interview of her and so many others touched my heartstrings.

Studs Terkel blurbed my book, Cheap Motels and a Hot Plate. I'm pretty proud of that. More than one person at book signings was impressed too.

Too bad he didn't get to see who wins the election.

Michael Yates