[lbo-talk] Russia confiscates papers that have a "political look"

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 1 04:50:58 PDT 2008

I'm kind of worried by the lull on lbo that this discussion, following hot on the heels as it does of the Great Toonces Debate (may it live in infamy), may be annoying people, so this will be my final comment.

I would like to point out that the paper in question is not one written by Russians for Russians, or read by Russians, or has any influence in Russia, or contributes to Russian political discourse in any but the most microscopic of ways. It is written in a foreign language that Russians cannot read, it is distributed at places frequented by foreigners, and its audience is foreign anglophones, in particular Americans. Its audience, in other words, is you.

Moreover, the only practical result of the events is that I can no longer pick up the eXile at Starlite Diner and read it over a burger before starting on the Moscow News crossword puzzle, but rather have to go through the excruciating effort of printing it out at work. OH NOES!!!!