[lbo-talk] fine article by Adolph Reed on Obama

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 08:49:51 PDT 2008

sorry to "me, too," but i'm really glad this got posted, as i wouldn't have seen it, otherwise. i've been trying to figure out why i shouldn't vote for obama, and reed lays out very compellingly his reasons for not doing so, even as he acknowledges that there is no credible alternative. and that's the part i'm the most irritated about. i agree with him that voting is in many respects the least important and least participatory elements of democracy, but it's not at all clear to me what "the left" in this country is supposed to be doing or how to set about doing it effectively, apart from working with the democratic party at the electoral level and doing the other stuff we do everywhere else.

i suppose this is really the same old question for this list, but i haven't gotten very far on it. that reed does not try in this essay to answer his closing question suggests it's not clear to him, either, although maybe he's done this elsewhere and i need to see that.

speaking of which, is there somewhere i can read reed and/or doug and/or liza on The Alinskyism Thing?

finally, per another recent post, is there somewhere zizek lays out his case for endorsing obama? i'd be v curious to read it alongside reed's piece here.

thanks