[lbo-talk] Congestion pricing may not hurt the poor, study finds

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Tue Sep 2 05:57:40 PDT 2008

By orthodox efficiency criteria, the optimal user fee does not necessarily suffice to finance capital expenditure. Its main function as WS says is to set use levels. Basically the correct toll runs off lower-value users (where 'low value users' is partly determined by willingness and ability to pay -- income levels).

There are some theorems where under certain conditions the receipts from congestion tolls finance the correct expansion of capacity. But in general fees need not defray operating or capital costs.