[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 08:25:35 PDT 2008

Yes. Yes. Yes.

I am COMPLETELY disgusted on multiple grounds. Gag reflex is too strong still to vote for McCain, but I am disgusted:

--Disgusted by all the people foaming at the mouth because Sarah Palin chose to give birth to a baby with Down's syndrome. No I do not buy the rumors that the baby is Bristol's. Women over 40 are at substantially increased risk of having children with Down's syndrom, but NO it's not some horrid afront to intelligence to wind up with a baby with Down's syndrome. Ditto for eschewing birth control although that is not a choice I would make.

--Disgusted by all the people who think they know what will work for this family. Odds are against the young couple making a long and happy life together but it could happen. Google Levi+Bristol to find the young father's website. Total hockey boy crush with the f-bomb on the first page along with comments that although he has no use for quadratic equations, Bristol gets it and helps him. Awwwww.

--Disgusted by all the commentators who are so horrified by the Palins'conservative views that they cannot see that maybe getting pregnant like this is the perfect way for her daughter to rebel.

I am glad Bristol Palin has supportive parents; that does not solve anything for lots of women with unwanted pregnancies who do not,

I think being pro-choice means respecting the choices other people make while also fiercely resisting their efforts to impose their choices on the whole country.

I think it is fascinating to watch evangelicals who hyperventilate about the supposed sins of others become suddenly docile partisans of forgiveness philosophical that "life happens" when it happens to one of their own.

Barack Obama also issued a statement that his mother gave birth to him when she was 18.

So yeah, I am disgusted by some of the chattering classes and doubly so because by focusing on the Palin's personal . family situation, HUGE opportunities are being missed to talk about alternative choices in a social context.

DC