[lbo-talk] Unions mobilize to elect Obama

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue Sep 2 09:21:50 PDT 2008

Unions mobilize to elect Obama

PWW Print Edition August 30, 2008

http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/13592/

By John Wojcik

DENVER - Two thousand union members, more than half of them delegates to the Democratic National Convention, rallied here last week and then joined with delegates from numerous mass movements to launch an unprecedented effort to change America this fall. The huge labor gathering served to kick off and set the tone for the entire convention. In a dramatic show of unity Aug. 24, leaders of the AFL-CIO, the National Education Association (NEA) and Change to Win clasped hands and raised their arms above their heads. The gesture brought down the house as African American, Latino, Asian American and white members of nearly every union in the country rose in prolonged applause, chanting, “O-BA-MA, O-BA-MA!”

The presidential race is the first since several unions left the AFL-CIO to form the Change to Win coalition. “It’s important to note we are united in our determination to turn around America,” declared AFL-CIO President John Sweeney. “And by united,