[lbo-talk] Congestion pricing may not hurt the poor, study finds

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Tue Sep 2 10:20:12 PDT 2008

From an efficiency standpoint, a ('marginal') subsidy to an alternative can work the same way as a charge for congestion. Distributional consequences are different, obviously. The subsidy requires more revenue from the fellow behind that tree.

I don't know why charges wouldn't work. It's just that the charges we have tend to be too small. We certainly saw a change in driving behavior from the change in gas prices.

Yes, with no alternative the charge just screws over the people who can't afford it. Moreover, it doesn't make the rest better off either, since their benefit from the reduced congestion is offset by the freakin toll. The benefit comes in the form of the proceeds of the toll, which as Jordan says might wind up anywhere.

Sadly in the U.S., public spending often requires some appearance of dedicating revenues from some particular source. My pet peeve about the left in this vein, it appeals to people to support higher taxes because they won't have to pay them -- they will fall on "the rich." With real social democracy, most people would have to pay more taxes than they do now.