[lbo-talk] Congestion pricing may not hurt the poor, study finds

Dmytri Kleiner dk at telekommunisten.net
Tue Sep 2 12:45:51 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 09:50:07 -0700, "Jordan Hayes" <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:

> Dmytri Kleiner writes:

>> IMO, fees should only be used against congestion ...
>
> ... and we're back around to the central thesis of this thread: fees are
> a lousy way to combat congestion.

I agree with you in principal, the point of my response was "the free rider is not the rider." It is not the users of transit who is the primary economic beneficiaries of transit investment and therefore charging them is unfair, indeed, it is a form of class terrorism.

It seems reasonably that a user-fee maybe useful in combating congestion, but my apparent endorcement was not based on any conviction nor expertise in the area. It was beside my point. I will say instead that fees, in the unlikely event they shoule prove useful at all, might only be useful against congestion.

I would be certainly prefer to do away with fees completely.

-- Dmytri Kleiner editing text files since 1981

http://www.telekommunisten.net