[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 18:51:55 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 4:07 PM, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> One way to show the stupidity of Republican talking points is to show how
> Republicans don't hold to the standards they espouse for others.

I return to my prior point about the idiocy of feigning shock when the behavior of children doesn't reflect their parents' ideals.

> It is also good to show people the hypocrisies of the right-wing in a very
> concrete manner.

But if my *mother* morally opposes smoking pot, and then *I* smoke pot...oh, never mind. I suspect this is a hopeless case.

> "Two wrongs...." is childish nonsense. If you really care about implementing
> policies that help people you do what it takes to implement them and you
> don't waste time being sanctimonious.

Tell me, did you take the same position on Aaron McGruder's "Condoleezza Rice just needs a man" kick? This has equal substance.

> No one is clucking about this teens behaviour.
> The point is to show another failure of abstinence only education for a
> self-appointed "good family".
> No one here is chastising Bolin for having sex.

I take it you never step (slightly) outside the circular leftist firing squad to explore, for example, the ideological swamps of Democratic Underground or Daily Kos? (To their marginal credit, editors seem to have been hard at work scrubbing away the weekend's slime.)