[lbo-talk] more on Palin

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 11:55:26 PDT 2008

Problem is she's not by any stretch of the imagination an anti-governmentista.

1) She's Alaskan, and they all live on the government teat.

2) Her main "accomplishment" was to give away $500 million dollars in state money to TransCanada, the pipeline company, to kinda, sorta, maybe start building the natural gas pipeline the Big Three have been using as a carrot and stick against the Alaska legislature for years.

I know this sounds like I'm obsessed with pipelines, but the Alaska gas pipeline is the biggest perennial issue in Alaska politics and everyone in the Northwest knows it. It was behind the whole VECO case.

3) I don't underestimate the emotional reasoning. Getting personally involved in Democratic party politics has taught me that - before it broke my spirit.

On an emotional basis, the choice of Palin is *attempted* brilliance. The Republicans have a HUGE corruption problem - particularly with Ted Stevens. So, they cleverly bring on the woman who - while only not corrupt by Alaska standards because she didn't have the time to get corrupt (and she's probably not taken seriously enough) - was the leader of the (corrupt, because it's Alaska) coalition that took advantage of the meltdown caused by the VECO scandal.

She seems so perfect. They know the press is going to go after her and they think they can intimidate and shame the press into not doing it, thus a lot of issues become toxic, go away and it's all about "mavericks".

Because Barack Obama is black, they must do ANYTHING they can to keep him from reaching the "tipping point" in popularity, since racist Americans generally idolize "breakout" figures from despised groups - thus Bill Cosby, Will Smith, Ellen Degeneris and - the goddess herself - Oprah.

Because they must withhold their natural bigotry to appreciate these people at all, Americans become very psychologically open to these people.

Palin is a super-high-risk choice. If you were watching Charlie Rose last night, or reading the sexually-aroused David Brooks, you were seeing it working. But if you were watching CNN, or looking at the "entertainment television" shows, you were seeing it NOT working.

It's all about how Sarah Palin does on the weekday morning shows. That's the demographic the McCain campaign must win here. Basically, they know Regis will treat her like a queen, "The View" might trash her, but that little nazi on there will go mental and quit or something, and the "Today Show" will have to decide. Palin's free media on those shows is the gold ring here, because those are the "persuadables" McCain needs.

I'm sure the Repugs have a strategy here, but I think they've just taken too much of a risk.