[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 3 15:10:59 PDT 2008

Matt wrote:
> Sure, she is a proponent of abstinence-only education (so I've been
> told), and she has a preggo teenage daughter. But I don't think the
> premise of ab-only ed. (for those who believe it is effective) is to
> lead to a reduction in teenage *pregnancies*; the point is to lead to
> a reduction in teenage immorality, loosely defined as sexual activity.
>
> To these folks, girls avoiding abortions is most important. Girls
> avoiding fucking is pretty important. Girls not getting pregnant -
> well they don't seem to care much about that, and if the girls *are*
> fucking, then if they get pregnant, fine, as long as they don't
> consider abortion.

You misunderstand abstinence-only education. It supposes that teaching about birth control will lead teens to want to use them and therefore to fuck while teaching teens to abstain will lead to a reduction in sexual activity and therefore pregnancy. It has never been "fine" to be an unwed teen mother with these folks until right now. The hypocrisy of this cannot be overstated. Suddenly it's all just "life happens" instead of chastising, blame, and a big fuck you to pregnant teens.

John Thornton