[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 4 09:33:22 PDT 2008

At 07:31 AM 9/4/2008, Charles Brown wrote:

>Conclusions. High rates of incarceration can have the unintended
>consequence of destabilizing communities and contributing to adverse
>health outcomes. (Am J Public Health. 2006;96:1762-1765. doi:10.2105/
>AJPH.2005.081760)
>
>*******
>CB: It is not clear that this consequence is unintended with respect to
>some communities.

There's a documentary about the '92 riots in Los Angeles called "The Fire This Time." In the movie a number of Watts residents talk about a history of weapons being left for the taking in the neighborhood, dating from the late '60s. The stories say it began with the odd abandoned van with guns inside left on the street and grew to boxcars in railroad lots with doors wide open loaded with guns and other items.

The people telling these stories believe that these things happened by design and were cooked up by Los Angeles police, the FBI, by some governmental organization. Before the movie was released PBS was interested in showing it. PBS backed out in the end because they said the stories about guns left for the taking were conspiratorial and without foundation.

I saw the guy who made the movie give a talk once. He said what's important is not whether or not these stories are true ( and no one has disproved what these people are saying). What's important is to recognize that there are people living in this country who believe their government is trying to destroy them.