[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 4 10:25:16 PDT 2008

At 10:00 AM 9/4/2008, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>[WS:] That is a widely spread belief in Amerika, especially among
>white "middle America," no?
>
>Belief that government, regulations, and taxes are an oppressive
>force that represses individuals - be it in the form of tax "burden"
>bureaucratic hurdles, or other oppressive policies - is the very
>foundation of the right wing ideology and worldview. I find it sad
>that poor people who stand to gain from government programs, and did
>gain from them (Great society programs, for example) subscribe to
>such right wing tripe.

They are not talking right wing tripe about being repressed by regulations and taxes. They're talking about being systematically marginalized at best, and at worst killed.

>What I expect from a progressive camp is an alternative view of
>government as the guarantor of individual freedoms and prosperity, a
>protector from injustice and abuses of many by a few, coupled with a
>demand that the actual governments live up to that ideal.

That's just what these people would ask for. Protection from injustice by government, not perpetration of injustice by government.