[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 4 16:44:18 PDT 2008

Dennis Claxton wrote:
> At 03:46 PM 9/4/2008, John Thornton wrote:
>
>> If Palin's husband is an "eskimo" (yuck Dorene) then I'm really French!
>

> I'm not disagreeing but isn't blood quantum a problematic way to make
> this argument?

Yes and no. That's probably why the Yup'ik don't keep a bq registry and try to go by tradition instead. There is no satisfactory solution to the question of who is or isn't NDN. Ideally the question shouldn't be asked but this isn't an ideal world. I argue he isn't Yup'ik simply because they claim he isn't a member of their tribe. How they reach that decision is up to them, not me.

John Thornton