[lbo-talk] Elephant memory ...

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 4 19:45:11 PDT 2008

martin wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2008, at 6:05 PM, John Thornton wrote:
>
>> The police exist to help enforce private property rights, the
>> cornerstone of Capitalism.
>
> I'm sure that they have self interests as well, both as individuals
> and as an organization. Some may even harbor a secret urge to 'protect
> and serve'.
>
> And if the police are the cornerstone of capitalism, shouldn't the
> application of energy applied to altering that structure have some
> primacy?
>
> martin

You mean eliminate the police force and replace it with something else? Some policing functions will probably be necessary in any industrial society but I'm all for a comprehensive overhaul of the functions of the police. Start by making the organization more transparent and letting communities set their own standards for what they want policed. I'm not sure you'll get many cops to take this seriously.

John Thornton