[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 19:20:10 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 10:37 PM, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

Huh? Which Alaskan natives aren't NDN's?

The Aleuts and Inuit. (However, I previously revealed my ignorance; Amerindians do live in Alaska, but in smaller numbers than either of the other groups.) I don't recall the precise cultural distinctions, but believe it has something do do with the former two groups possessing historically distinct language families that stretch into Russia. I can e-mail my old linguistics professor and dig up some old articles if you're genuinely interested; I could obviously use a refresher myself.

> If tribes don't get to decide who is a tribal member then who does? Every
> individual?

We've discussed this elsewhere, and I don't know that it's worth continuing, at least as an argument. But while people may not have a universally-recognized human right to an ethnicity, as they do to a nationality, the fact remains that most of us are going to call ourselves something, or multiple things.

So I rephrase my prior question. What is someone whose ancestry is predominantly or overwhelmingly Aleut, or Inuit, or AmerIndian, who lacks tribal affiliation? Have they no ethnicity? Do they revert to the cultural norm of whiteness if they can pass?

Yes, clearly tribal affiliation works differently. And while I understand part of your reasoning behind correlating the two, I simply cannot see how your claim that they are synonyms here can withstand logical scrutiny.

> I do hope you see the humour in a non-native writing with regards to NDN's
> "I don't know that I'm really up for addressing claims that ethnicity
> depends upon recognition by a political authority. Like, getting tribal
> papers..."

Telling NDN's how to best manage their own affairs is someplace most white
> people fear to tread.

Statements such as this are typically an attempt to obscure one's claim of authority over others of the same group (although in this case you would argue that they are in fact not) with differing perspectives. I have known several Virginians who are indisputably and overwhelmingly of native descent, who consider themselves AmerIndian by heritage and culture, but who lack tribal affiliations, typically because of their descent from small groups that remained in place during forced migrations of larger populations.

As you've said previously, a lot of this is semantic. To me (and a few others with ancestry closer to yours), ethnicity is a question of the cultural group from which one claims descent. To you , it's obviously something different. C'est la vie. I'm done, unless you have something particularly provocative to put on the table.