[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 5 16:52:25 PDT 2008

I disagree sharply with Eric on a number of key issues -- but this post is by far the best that has been written in response to either Convention or any of the candidates. The reaction to Palin of course is not elitists, its pure self-indulgence in one's (supposed) cultural superiority, mixed almost certainly with resentment of uppity women who don't apologize for being uppity.

And it seems to me _obvious_ that the personal intelligence and/or experience of presidents is not particularly relevant to the success/failure of ltheir administration. It is Administrations, not the prsident him/herself that make and implement policy. In retrospect, even historians who hate Bush's politics will recognize that his administration has been quite successful, particularly in making it more or less certain that the next administration (whether it is of McCain or Obama) will carry on the same policies. Personal characteristics of the president are important only to those whose relationsip to politcs is that of the spectator and/or drama critic. This thread would appear on the entertaiment pages of any newpaper rather than constitute political commentary.

Carrol