[lbo-talk] legal question

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 22:28:37 PDT 2008

If it's not a big deal, it's not material. Material means it matters.

A reason, not a legal one, but one I teach at some length, in fact I'm still not out of this one yet, not to legally fight corporate practices is that litigation is expensive and time consuming.

Also I bet your credit card agreement has a mandatory arbitration clause, ruled enforceable by the S.Ct., consumers lose 95%+ of arbitrated disputes -- doubtless many of them are genuinely unmeritious -- and a fee shifting agreement by which the loser (you) pays the winner's fees and costs) (maybe a big law firm), plus a big chunk of the arbitrators' fees -- say half. Sort like having to pay the half the judges's salary for the trial if you lose, in addition to the full "reasonable" attorneys' fees and other litigation costs.

And yeah, if the agreement provides for a change of interest rate on an existing balance in event of default, say a late payment, it's likely to be enforceable.