[lbo-talk] Infant Mortality Question

WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 12:23:47 PDT 2008

I recall reading somewhere credible that social scientists consider infant mortality to be one of the best ways to measure the overall "social health" of a particular society. This sounds right to me given that infant death rates are probably a function of interrelated things like education, access to health care, poverty, nutrition, etc.

So, is it true that infant mortality rates tell more about social health than other statistics? Are there other statistics that -- taken by themselves -- reveal just as much (or more) about overall social health?

Thanks, -WD