[lbo-talk] Where Have I Seen Sarah Palin Before?]

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Sep 7 15:17:23 PDT 2008

On Sep 7, 2008, at 5:45 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> <http://www.antiwar.com/orig/kamangeer.php?articleid=13417>
>
> September 6, 2008
> Where Have I Seen Sarah Palin Before?
> by Arash Kamangeer
> I grew up in Iran and immigrated to US to avoid living in a
> theocracy. Lately though, the trajectory of US politics is something
> to worry about, not only to me, but also to many others in my
> predicament....
>
> Right after the Revolution in Iran and the establishment of the
> Islamic Republic, the Iran-Iraq war was started. To be fair, Iraq
> started that war, but the new revolutionary leaders of Iran saw the
> war as a godsend. They milked it for all it was worth. They labeled
> anyone against the war as a traitor or unpatriotic. Anyone who
> suggested that there may be a negotiated settlement was ridiculed
> and purged from power. Even Ayatollah Khomeini once said that this
> war is a blessing from God himself...

As I (but, it seems, nobody else in the world) recognized and stated (*) at the time, Khomeini's assassination fatwa against Salman Rushdie had nothing to do with the fantasy about the Prophet's wives of a character in "The Satanic Verses" and everything to do with the book's portrayal of "The Imam" erecting a fountain of blood to glorify his holy war.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...it consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos

"...in February 1989 Khomeini ordered the assassination of Indian-born author Salman Rushdie, a British subject whose book *The Satanic Verses* was denounced as blasphemous. In actuality, Khomeini sought revenge for veiled attacks on him in the book."