[lbo-talk] Fwd: ABC News/Washington Post Poll: After theConvention s

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Tue Sep 9 12:56:18 PDT 2008

Louis Proyect gives his take on Obama at: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2008/09/09/obama-disappoints/

As Proyect puts it:

"As I tried to explain to my friend Jeff earlier today, Obama will not take the brass knuckles approach of an FDR, a Harry Truman or even LBJ-the last of the New Deal politicians-because the Democratic Party has lost its class moorings. Through the 1960s, the trade unions were a powerful constituency of the Democratic Party. With the steady erosion of industries that provided the kinds of union jobs of the past, the Democrats have become much more of a middle-class party. With relatively well-off constituents in the “New Economy”, the Democrats do not feel the need to go into the trenches to fight for jobs and social benefits. The typical Democratic candidate for President today is a policy wonk like Obama, who reminds me more and more of Michael Dukakis."

____________________________________________________________ Click here to save cash and find low rates on auto loans. http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3ndyHltzQ9fWvnFrjw7hxbMZmbFUqXFZYSWyfeTtK9wcrJHn/